Nicole O'Neil Photography
Behind the Lens, 2016
I've been trying to share things about myself with an image every once in a while on my social media pages. (Please head over and follow my pages on Facebook and Instagram!) I feel like it's good to see me on the other side of the camera and also share things about myself with clients. My clients invite me into their lives (and many times, their homes) and trust me to capture the most beautiful moments. I learn about them, I establish relationships with them that I hope are long lasting. Photographing families is such a personal and special business. So, I feel it's only fair for me to share some of myself.
From this morning's social media post:
I'm entering my final week of the holiday photo season. This morning, I was making my coffee and instead of pouring the boiling water into my french press, I poured it into my cup that had coconut cream and honey in it. So, yeah. I'm tired. My brain is working at probably 70% (maybe less) by this point. My friends don't really see me and even texting me is iffy. You may hear from me if I happen to be editing or in between shoots or it may be 5 days later and I realize I never replied. I go to sleep late and wake up multiple times and early thinking of the long list of to dos I have. Part of me can't wait for things to slow and to have a break while the other part just loves the nonstop craziness and spending time with so many great clients, old and new. But, either way, no matter which way I feel at a given moment, I am thankful. I am still, years later, navigating my way through this whole thing. I doubt myself often, I get overwhelmed. But I pick myself up and keep going. I still have things to learn, I still need to figure out how to keep consistent work throughout the year and not just at peak times. I still don't make the money I need to. I had some major set backs the last few years from things out of my control and it has required a lot of patience and hard work to get back to where I was. But, I see myself moving forward each year and I truly think 2017 will be the big year for me. I have amazing clients and keep getting new ones. I love what I do even if it can be overwhelming sometimes. I'm also blessed to have patient and understanding friends and family. Life is short. Don't take it for granted. Definitely do what you love, never give up on your dreams and take some leaps of faith.
Ten other things about me that you may not know. :)
1. I love to travel and visit Italy often (I also almost moved there).
2. I love to act silly but mostly around kids and those closest to me. With others, I can be more shy and reserved.
3. I love outdoor activites, especially hiking and being at the beach or near the water. I LOVE being out in nature. It grounds me.
4. I love music and though, I have an awful voice, I sing a lot, especially alone in the car (sorry if you ever hear me).
5. I love to laugh. I have really funny friends and family members who can easily put me into a laughing fit.
6. I'm obsessed with the American Flag, especially at sunset or against a clear blue sky. (see my favorite picture below)
7. I have been through and survived close families deaths, caring for a sick relative for a long time, a terrorist attack and a chronic illness and it all has shaped who I am today. I am the optimist, the one who wants to live life to the fullest while still staying grounded. I love performing random acts of kindness and supporting others and feel I have an open heart and open mind. I believe that we are all here together for just a short time and should work together to create a beautiful and meaningful life. :)
8. The coolest job Ive had to date was when I was Mayor Walsh's personal photographer for his entire inaugural weekend. I got to see behind the scenes of the inauguration and meet so many great people. I wouldn't love to do that job every day but it was a really great experience.
9. I cry. Weddings, videos of soldiers reuniting with familes, movies, you name it. I love a happy story and those sometimes get me more than sad things. I am a sucker for a feel good moment.
10. I love to give back every opportunity I get and started a project a while back that I'm re-launching in 2017, called "she." You can find it on social media. FB: 'She.' Instagram: @shecampaign Website (to be updated soon) www.shecampaign.com If you or your children want to be invovled or photographed for this project, please let me know!
Oh, and bonus tid bit, I can be just as uncomfortable in front of the camera as anyone. So much so, that I sometimes will just act goofy instead of staying serious.
An absolute favorite image.
Thanks for coming to learn about me! XO
Leave a Reply.